Happy New Year everyone!
This has unquestionably been the most eventful year of my life to date (other than the year I was born). At the risk of sounding self-absorbed I’m going to list the highlights so that it can go down in my personal history.
Here are the bullet points of what happened in pseudo-chronological order:
- Erek and I made it to the top 50 applications of the Knight News Challenge (out of about 2,400)
- Google called me out of the blue asking for an interview (funny story behind this one)
- Lyla received a Fulbright Scholarship to go to Spain
- I was accepted into the MIT Media Lab
- Lyla graduated from Temple University, finishing her five-year undergraduate program.
- My childhood dog – Mrs. Duffy – had to be put to sleep 🙁
- I ended my time working for ColorQuick
- I got a book published! Sort of.
- Lyla and I drove 1000 miles in less than a week: Cheltenham to New York to Boston to O.C. Maryland back to Cheltenham
- I spent a summer working for SpeakerText
- STARCRAFT 2 CAME OUT!!!!
- I got married
- Lyla and I spent 10 days in Puerto Rico
- We moved to Boston
- Lyla moved to Spain to begin her Fulbright
- I started my first semester at MIT
- I learned how to make almost anything
- I completed my first semester at MIT
- Lyla and I spent Thanksgiving in France
- I visited Lyla in Spain for Christmas and New Years
Not too shabby! This year contained my wedding, two jobs, two post-graduate programs, three countries, and one U.S. territory.
Also, for a few months in there Lyla and I were in solid running for: a $400,000 grant, employment at Google, graduate school at MIT, and a Fulbright scholarship. Holy crap.
As for you 2011, the excitement bar is set pretty far up there. No pressure.